This has been quite a week. On Monday evening we were at the park with Clara's grandparents and as Clara rode down the slide on her grandpa's lap, her right leg got pulled or bent back and was pinned between his leg and the side of the slide as they came down. Without going into traumatic details (for my own sake), we took her to the Primary Children's ER, where we spent the next 6 hours. Clara was relatively happy while we were waiting in the ER, as long as she was sitting on my lap and not moving her leg.
When the doctor examined her leg, it only seemed to hurt her when he held her knee and twisted her ankle a certain way. Clara's leg was x-rayed (also very traumatic) and no fracture could be seen, but it's common not to see a toddler's break right away. Even though we couldn't tell for sure if her lower leg (her tibia, specifically) was broken, they put a splint on it anyway. They told us to take it off in a few days and see how she treated her leg: if she could walk/run, then it wasn't broken; if she can't, then we'll need to put a hard cast on it.
Update: we haven't taken off her splint, but she doesn't want to put pressure on it or walk on it, although she has crawled a little. We're assuming that it's broken, but we have to wait to put a hard cast on until next Wednesday when the Fracture Clinic at Primary Children's is open. (I think it's really strange that it's only open once a week.) One of my cousins is an orthopedic surgeon, and he seems to think it's broken, too. I think she'd only need a cast for 2-3 weeks.
I feel bad for my little Clara, but she seems to be doing pretty well. I'm sure she's enjoying being carried around everywhere, and the milkshake her grandpa made, but she does want to walk around sometimes (just not her leg). Hindsight is 20/20, isn't it?
6 comments:
Ahhh! That's so unfortunate, but hey, it will be one of those stories that gets told a million times! I hope that everything works out asap.
Poor thing. She must be quite a trooper. I hope she gets better soon. Does your pediatrician do casts?
That is so awful! For everyone involved. I hope she gets better soon. Congratulations, by the way. I am so glad he got into school. That gives me hope for us.
Oh no! Poor Clara! Let's hope she heals quickly!
Poor little Clara! That stinks!
Oh men.. that's so sad that she can't run around now! Especially with the weather getting better (at least it is overhere ;) I really hope it won't be broken for here, with a cast in humid SC won't be a pleasure! good luck!
(I guess we've been lucky so far, Jared is a wild boy but hasn't broken anything YET) Hope you're feeling better and moving will go well!
Post a Comment