"I do not believe that sheer suffering teaches. If suffering alone taught, all the world would be wise, since everyone suffers. To suffering must be added mourning, understanding, patience, love, openness and the willingness to remain vulnerable." - Anne Morrow Lindbergh
A friend and former roommate of mine had this quote up in our room, which I always thought it was a good thought, but I guess I never thought much of it. But now, looking back on the past few months, I have come to understand it a little better. I have found I look at others and at myself differently and in a more eternal context. I am becoming aware of how suffering and sorrow has changed, and continues to change, me. I am sure that in her trials, Angela allowed herself to be brought closer to her Savior and that she learned many things because of them.
One of Angela's hospice nurses told me she thought of her vocation as a "ministry." As I thought about that afterward, I realized that I agreed with her. She was doing what the Savior himself would be doing if he were here: He would be mourning with those who mourn, succoring the sick and sharing His love. I'm trying to do the same.
1 comment:
Beautiful thought Kristen.
Those hospice nurses are amazing people, are they not? Truly Christlike, whether they believe in Him or not.
Thank you for sharing
Post a Comment